Gibson Building is currently undertaking a Design Build project in Verrierdale, in Noosa’s beloved hinterland. The large acreage site takes in 180 degree views to the North and overlooks Peregian, Noosa Heads and the Glass House Mountains.
The Client’s brief
Two bedroom contemporary house in a recommended location to take in the views and orientated for the climatic conditions. The client requested a 40ft container pool to be incorporated into the design.
A split level junction of 2 rectangles with the upper containing the Master, Media, Study and wet areas. The lower slab rectangle contains the Living, Kitchen and Dining plus external decks. A ‘Butterfly’ roof over with a centre ‘spine’ box gutter. The container pool suspended on a steel frame out over sloping ground and perpendicular to the deck – the ‘wow’ factor.
We asked the client why he chose Gibson Building to design & build his dream home
“Kieran was the first Builder/Designer to really listen to my requirements and conceptualize my ideas that were within my target budget. He walked the property with me so we could together assess the merits of a number of potential house sites. The chosen site offered a balance between views, access, and orientation in relation to sun and breeze exposure. Without such a beginning, potentially the wrong design could of be placed in the wrong position. I feel that Kieran understands my general ideas and with his passion for design is able to incorporate this into the design of the home in every aspect. I look forward to calling this place mine!”
Gibson Building listened to what our Client wanted and conceived a design the exceeded their expectation but was still within budget. Designing mindful of climatic orientation was a major positive factor.
Design and Documentation has taken 12 months with many fine tuning revisions. Construction commenced in mid October 2016 and is expected to be complete by mid 2017.
- Most striking is the 40ft container pool perched above the sloping block on a steel portal frame.
- Split level with upper Bed on a timber floor (cooler at night) and the lower Living area on a concrete base. The roof slope will allow solar heating of slab in winter.
- Metal cladding in both Colourbond vertical panel with feature ‘Corten’ steel to lower areas.
- Metal/Colourbond sandwich panel roof over both areas to provide a clean narrow roof which is also economical to use.
Current Build Stage
- Earthworks and access road complete using a dozer and excavator.
- Perimeter footings with blockwork base to both areas in position.
- Timber frame and flooring in position to upper area while lower concrete slab has just been poured.